Monday, October 19, 2009

Brrrrrrrr....

It's getting chilly here in Michigan. Fall isn't providing the cool air that it usually does. It is just cold. We ave been cycling and running in this weather which has required a great deal of extra layering. You wouldn't believe how excited I got over finding a New Balance fitted running jacket and matching custom length pants. Layered with Under Armour and an ear warmer and I am ready to go. Yesterday we hit a quick 16 miles on our bikes. My toes were numb so I need to contact Defeet about some wool socks.
I am really dreading the snow but the owner of The Runnery turned me on to snow shoe treads for your running shoes. You see the problem is that I really dislike the treadmill. I was struggling to run and breath on the treadmill and I admit the first 2 runs outside made my legs scream but now I don't want to go back to the belt. I know there are going to be days that I have to but I am going to hold out as long as possible outside.
I have a whole list of events next year that I plan on doing so I need to keep moving. The major ones will be the Riverbank Run, Freemont Triathlon, DALMAC ride to Mackinac and Great Pumpkin Duathlon.
I am so happy to be able to do these. When I started to lose weight I said it wasn't about vanity but about being healthy and fit. Along the way I have found out that I just love being active and working out. I love looking better and being able to shop amongst the normal sizes but that isn't what keeps me going. I see so many people lose weight and get into a certain size and then that's it. They are comfortable and it starts to slowly creep back. I am not going to be that person. This is my new life and I love it. I am proud of myself for finding activities that continue to keep me driven. This weekend I will be running the EveryStride 5k Nike Human Race. Cold and rainy is the forecast...should be a good time. They better have some schnapps for my hot cocoa afterwards :o)

3 comments:

Cyclin' Missy said...

I was just looking into the Freemont Tri yesterday! I'm planning to try out a tri next year, but I haven't picked the one yet. That could be a good one for a first time. Great goals - fun races!

Anonymous said...

OK! Officially we now have 364 days until the Every Stride 10k at Candlestone! Congrats on finishing, girl! p.s your husband was very gallant to offer me his silver blankie after I finished - tell him thank you for me!

Tiffany said...

I agree,364 days until the 10k(more road, less grass). That was the wettest, muddiest, slowest experience of my life but I ran every minute of it. 7 minutes slower than I thought I would but last year at this time I was on the sidelines :o)

Post a Comment