Sunday, January 17, 2010

Spin & Sculpt

Well, I finally made it to my first Spin & Sculpt class. As a cyclists you would think I would LOVE it. No, I didn't like it a all. The class started at 8:15am and I arrived at 8am to find all of the bikes taken up. I was told to stick around because someone might leave. Someone did. Cool. I went and grabbed my weights and started to set up my bike. 1 out of the 2 instructors asked me if I needed help and I said no. I explained that I ride a road bike. She actually rolled her eyes at me. Then she looked down at my weights and proceeded to tell me that the 10lb weights would probably be too much for me. I curl 25's on a regular basis :o/ I told her I was fine and kept the weights. She marched out of the room and returned with 5lb weights and sat them next to me. She thought I might "need" them. I thought I really didn't need her attitude.
The 2nd instructor came in..this one actually knows me and was happy to see me there. While this is going on everyone is making a big deal out of the fact that all the bikes are full as more people are trying to get into an already full class. There was an actual discussion that if you weren't a "biggest loser" contestant then maybe you should give up your bike. My blood started to boil.
No I wasn't a biggest loser contestant but I have been a member of that gym for almost 2 years and I paid my dues just the same as anyone else. Just because these woman decided they want to lose weight for the new year didn't mean I was going to leave. So class started on a sour note.
We start spinning and are told to put it on a level 5. OK, I guess my level 5 and other peoples level 5 are different. Their legs are just spinning freely and lightly. So I ask...level 5 on a scale of??? I was told 1-10. Ok then you should be putting in some effort. It was pretty obvious to me at that point who was there to work and who was there for social hour.
I worked. Level 10 to me is about the same as a 20% grade hill so I pushed it and was sweating my ass off. I stuck with my chosen weights and found them to be almost too light for some of the "sculpting sets". Now, I know I work harder than a lot of people but these grown women were using 3-5 pound weights and have been taking this class for months. This wasn't my problem. The problem was the way they made me feel. I felt so unwelcome there. Like I didn't belong because I used heavier weight or I pushed myself too hard. I am not sure I will ever return to that class. Maybe I will just to piss them off :o)
I have a cycleops trainer here with my actual bike on it . I guess if I want to get ready for cycling season I will hop on that a couple of nights a week because quite honestly it's a better work out. Funny thing is I would challenge any one of the unwelcoming "spinners" to a 40 mile ride any day of the week.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Honesty is always the best policy, Tiffany! The new year's Club membership influx is always a challenge. I think you know who I am because I will remain anonymously yours,
xxxooo

Post a Comment