Friday, August 6, 2010

I'll Pray for you......

Growing up I hated hearing those words. I am 1/4 italian and grew up in a very melting pot neighborhood. As with all suburbs in the Detroit area it was mostly italian, greek, and polish. Can we say religious?  I won't even start about the food. I am sure you can imagine.
Anyway in St. Clair Shores I never had religion thrown in my face, you just were. You believed in god, helped your neighbor, raked leaves for a dollar, played hockey in the street and kickball at the school yard.
We moved up north when I was 13. Our road was dirt and the first week we were asked by at least 20 families to attend one of the 4 churches in our new tiny town. My dad called them all hypocrites because they would sit together and pray and then talk about each other outside the church doors. Funny, I just thought they were all crazy.
My Grandmother was infamous for saying "just pray for them" every time someone would make me angry or upset. Recently I heard a country song that helps it all makes sense:
I havent been to church since I don’t remember when
Things were goin’ great ‘til they fell apart again
So I listened to the preacher as he told me what to do
He said you can’t go hatin’ others who have done wrong to you
Sometimes we get angry, but we must not condemn
Let the good Lord do His job and you just pray for them

I pray your brakes go out runnin’ down a hill
I pray a flowerpot falls from a window sill and knocks you in the head like I’d like to
I pray your birthday comes and nobody calls
I pray you’re flyin’ high when your engine stalls
I pray all your dreams never come true
Just know whereever you are honey, I pray for you......


There is more to it but I am sure you get the idea. You see some people in your life just aren't worth stressing over so just pray for them, LOL. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment